Tuesday, May 19, 2009

#45 TRAILBLAZES * (revised 6/4) "give it away"




If we believe that every product in our stores has to be sold at a price, we are fools.
We will end up paying the price for that attitude.





“I would rather burn it than sale it”


A large garden store owner in Missouri
when asked about his specials and promotions





“For years I have placed a nice order each spring for garden seeds and some supplies from my favorite mail order catalog. My reason is a little silly. I could probably buy the same stuff from my local garden store for less money. You know why? Because when I open that box, they always send me something for free. It may be a dumb little measuring spoon or a ruler, or a handy pocket knife for cutting. But I use them and I look forward to what kind of neat prize I am getting this season!”


A gardener from
North Dakota




“I took my truck and trailer down to my favorite garden store and stacked it heaping full with bags of bark for my flower beds. There were two old broken half bags sitting in the corner. I asked the manager if I could buy those bags at a reduced price to add to the load. The manager, who help load the order, refused and would only sell me the bags at full price, saying that he never discounted anything. You know what? There is something that I will never do. I will never return to that store again.”


Homeowner

From Nevada




“Ten years ago, my wife and I moved to this town in Colorado. It was a new house and we needed a lot of plants for landscaping. I just picked a garden store at random, looked over their selection and started buying right then and there. The Manager was kind enough to extend to us a small discount on the purchase which helped. But when we got to the cash register, a funny thing happened. The owner, seeing the large purchase, approached us to thank us personally for choosing her store. Then she pointed to the selection of flowers and said “Please pick out a couple flats of Geraniums for your home, as our gift to you.” We were delighted. This has been our garden store for ten years because of the kindness of the owner. We would never shop anywhere else.”


Retired homeowner

from Colorado



We believe in a strong partnership between our gardeners and green garden gates. Our customers understand that we must receive a reasonable profit for our plants and plant care products. We understand that is it our responsibility to insure that they are successful in their gardening and landscaping efforts. But, no one likes to get nicked. No one likes to get nickeled and dimed in the process. Our employees are trained to understand this. If a customer has just purchased four expensive hanging baskets and needs one more of those cheap wire hangers for another pot at home, GIVE IT TO HER! If a large purchase is made, show appreciation for the sale by GIVING SOMETHING BACK! If there is a major chip in a decorative pot, don’t stand there holding to the marked price, REDUCE THE PRICE! And don’t blame it on the computer for preventing a reduction in the price or the giving of a plant, cut through the red tape and make it happen.

There is just no substitute for showing your appreciation to your customers with a little extra that is unexpected or even expected. This kind of approach at green garden gates to the partnership pays off in spades time and time again.

No comments: